Saturday, January 26, 2013

Netflix Reviews: The Watch


Okay so I've finally seen the critically panned comedy The Watch. When this first came out I was actually looking forward to seeing it. I mean it starred some of the funniest guys in the business today plus it was the first prominent American film role for Richard Ayoade who some may know from the British comedy show The IT Crowd. What I'm saying is, it had potential.

The Watch stars Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill, Richard Ayoade, and Will Forte. The plot centers around a small town that has been invaded by aliens that kill people and wear their skin to blend in. Ben Stiller's character, Evan, takes it upon himself to form a neighborhood watch to protect the town from the alien invaders.

In all honesty, I didn't think this movie was that bad when I was watching it. It had some funny lines and the cast was decent enough. Probably the biggest problem is it doesn't leave a lasting impression really. It's not a quotable kind of film either like Anchorman or Dodge ball, though it does aspire to be. 

It kind of reminds of the movie Role Models. Both have some good ideas and both got some laughs out of me. Not huge laughs, mind you, but a few here and there. Both also don't live up to their full potential and could be really hilarious but just end up being okay.

It's definitely not as bad as all the reviews for it say but it could've been better. The characters are likeable enough, though Vaughn can get a bit annoying after awhile. Do I recomend it? Not exactly but if you're a fan of the cast and debating on whether or not to see it, I say go for it. You come away with a few laughs at the very least. If you want a hilarious comedy though I'd go with 21 Jump Street which was the funniest comedy of the year.

FINAL GRADE: C

No comments:

Post a Comment