Monday, February 11, 2013

Netflix Reviews: Road To Perdition

 While browsing through Netflix I came across the Sam Mendes page and noticed that he made some films that I hadn't realized he made. Among them were Jarhead, Revolutionary Road, Away We Go, and Road To Perdition. The only things I heard about Road To Perdition before watching it were that it starred Tom Hanks, was based on a graphic novel, and that it was very underrated. I wasn't even aware that Mendes directed it. So I thought what the hell and put it on my queue. Now that I've finally watched it, I can honestly say that it has become one of my favorite movies of all time.

Road To Perdition stars Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, Jude Law, and Stanley Tucci. Hanks plays a hitman for the mob in the 1930s. His boss, played by Paul Newman, thinks of Hanks like a son, even though he already has a son whose played by Daniel Craig. Hanks' character, Michael, is also married and has two sons. When his oldest son discovers that his dad kills for the mob, Craig's character, Connor, decides that he may tell people about what he saw and goes after Michael's wife and younger son. With the mob on his tail including an assassin, played by Jude Law, Michael tries to stay alive, and will do anything to make sure no harm comes to his son.

Let me start off by saying that film looks absolutely beautiful. This was famed cinematographer Conrad L. Hall's final film before his death in 2003 and it just may be his best work. He also worked on Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, and American Beauty, among other films. One scene in particular is that of one of the final ones in the film with Hanks and Newman in the rain. It's gorgeous and executed brilliantly.

Now I must admit I've only seen one film of Sam Mendes' and that's Skyfall but after watching that it immediately made me a fan of his and this film launched him into my favorites. He does a fantastic job hear, every shot is beautiful and every interaction is gripping. He totally gets the heart of the story and brings it out front and center, the relationships between fathers and sons. And not just between Hanks and his son but also Paul Newman and Daniel Craig. Both pairs start out about the same at the beginning but as the film goes on they become complete foils of each other, mainly Hanks' son and Craig.
Craig is basically what Hanks' son could be depending on what path he chooses to take with his life. Follow in his father's footsteps, or lead a good life away from crime and murder. This is an important point to the film and stays with it throughout all the way up to an ending that could have been ruined easily if Mendes were to let the son do something instead of Hanks. (Trying to keep it as spoiler free as I can.)

The cast is simply spectacular. I love seeing Tom Hanks in more gritty kinds of roles like this and he shines as the lead. Paul Newman is of course brilliant and does a great job as the mob boss. Jude Law plays a different role than his usual mo here as well and he is creepy and intimidating, just as he should be. Daniel Craig plays the scolded son just trying to earn his father's approval very well and shows that even back in 2002 he had amazing acting chops. Tyler Hoechin plays Hanks' son, Michael Jr, and even he does very well here too. The cast as a whole gives an amazing performance.

I'm kind of a sucker for father son stories that include  both a literal journey and metaphorical journey i.e. The Road, and this one is also fully developed and realized. The relationship that evolves between the two is really very touching to watch. The film even manages to bring some humor into it as well when the relationship really starts to bud.
I mentioned this before but the film really reminds me of Shawshank Redemption. Not just in reputation, but in plot and tone. Hell even some shots were almost exact. There's a beach scene that resembles Shawshank in such a way that it made think I knew exactly what was going to happen and yet the film still surprised me.

Road To Perdition is just an amazing film. Everything about it is just damn near perfect. The look, the story, the acting, the themes, even the music all of it just works and fits together so well that it makes a very brilliant and a very different kind of gangster movie. It was totally underrated in it's time and deserved way more nominations, if not awards themselves, then it got. I'm just happy that I got to see it and that this beautiful gem didn't fly under my radar. 

 FINAL GRADE: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment